Kinesiology tape (Rock Tape) is a type of tape that is rapidly gaining popularity. This is due to the fact that rather than working against muscles and joints to restrict movement, the tape works with them to offer support and repositioning. As a result, this provides stability without compromising range of motion or circulation. Moreover, because kinesiology tape is made from a breathable and water-resistant material with elastic qualities, it has a skin-like feeling. This not only allows more comfort for the wearer, but also confers some benefits at the neurological level.
When there is an injury, the brain’s main concern becomes the pain and cannot fully process sensory feedback from the skin. This results in uncoordinated movement. However, due to its design, kinesiology tape provides a distraction from this pain, similar to when rubbing a sore area.
The tape is also able to deceive the brain, making it believe the injured joint has achieved motion without pain. When a joint moves, the skin is stretched; this allows the brain to stay aware of what is moving and to what degree. By taking advantage of the tape’s elasticity, the brain can be tricked into thinking the skin (and therefore the joint) is moving even though it isn’t. As a result, the brain is ‘tricked’ into thinking the joint can function without pain. This allows the brain to stop sending ‘help’ signals, thereby relaxing other muscles that may have been overly tense and/or compensating for the problem.
Want more information? Check out http://www.rocktape.com/products/tape/how-it-works/
Learn more information about our chiropratic clinic
- New Westminster & Burnaby Massage Therapy
- New Westminster & Burnaby Chiropractic Care
- New Westminster & Burnaby Custom Orthotics
- Instrument Assisted Soft Tissue Mobilization (IASTM)
- New Westminster & Burnaby Kinesiology Tape
- Low Level Laser Therapy (Cold Laser Therapy) Treatment
- Selective and Functional Movement Assessment ® (SFMA)
- New Westminster & Burnaby Sciatic Nerve Treatment
- New Westminster & Burnaby Titleist Assessment for Golfers (TPI)